I have always been on the hunt for the right skincare products. Even before becoming an Esthetician, I looked for that one product that would make all my skin issues vanish and make my skin glow. After years of learning about skin and ingredients, I’ve narrowed down four tips for choosing the right skincare products.
Why does this struggle exist?
I believe that everyone’s skin is different. Beyond your skin having different needs than anyone else’s, you probably (like me) have a list of preference from smell to feel. While I could never tell you what product will work perfectly for your skin, I can provide a road map that will ease your journey.
1. Know your skin
Without knowing what is unique about your skin and what you want from your products, you won’t know when you find it (or you may just spend a great deal of money while looking). The best way to establish your skin type you have is to visit a professional. We are all looking to find balance for our skin, and an Esthetician can be a great ally to help you find your way.
Getting a full skin analysis will provide you with tools you need:
- An overview of your skin type, texture, breakouts and complexion
- Time to ask questions about your current products
- Space to explain your skin issues and find names for the problems you have been encountering
- Recommendations for your skin
- You may even get an easy fix to a problem that has been occurring for a while
Before receiving a skin treatment, I recommend spending 24 hours being mindful of how your skin feels, what touches your skin regularly and how your current skin care products make you feel. Other good information for your Esthetician include: medications you’re taking, stress, allergies, sensitivities, dislikes and previous reactions.
Also, you are more than just your skincare products. When it comes to healthy skin, it helps to consider your skin as a reflection of your water intake, the foods you consume and your environment.
2. Know your ingredients
I don’t believe it is an easy task to decipher the ingredients list on the back of every skincare bottle. My favorite questions to ask yourself while skincare shopping are as follows:
- Can you pronounce the words?
- Do you know from what the ingredients are derived?
- Does the product have buzz ingredients (i.e.- alcohol, sodium laurel sulfate, parabens, “fragrance”)?
My preference is towards natural plant based ingredients. However, there are certain man-made or lab made ingredients that can still do wonders for your skin without causing harm. Some of these synthetic ingredients also do us the service of making sure mold doesn’t accumulate in the time it takes us to use the product. If you are unsure about an ingredient, what it’s used for and if it causes harm, check the Environmental Working Groups Skin-deep database.
3. Know your lifestyle
As a busy mom of two I know that the time I have to devote to a skincare routine is limited. I figured out how much time I can set aside (realistically) to make sure I can be as consistent as possible. Without consistency, you can never really tell if it is the product you’re using causing issues, or if it is your skin fighting to figure out what is going on.
I know that I enjoy hiking and yoga, so I have to find a way to make sure I’m not allowing sweat to clog my pores. I often wear glasses and sunglasses, so I know that I need to regularly clean the nose pieces to avoid blackheads on my nose. These are all topics that can be discussed with your Esthetician, and are the “quick fixes” I referred to in the Know your skin section above.
4. Know your preferences
Look back at every product you’ve ever used. What felt right? What kind of cleanser did you fall in love with? Creamy? Gel? Foaming?
What scent could you close your eyes and feel inspired by, is it floral? Does citrus resonate with you? Do you need something earthy?
If these smell and feel preferences are particularly important for you, make sure that you ask for samples first.
What do I use?
This is one of my favorite questions. After years of searching, I developed my own skincare line. This line is not for everyone. However, I’ve worked long and hard to make sure that at least one product could help every one of my clients. The Touch of Radiance product line is plant based, gentle, effective and made to help with the ebb and flow of womanhood. From stress breakouts, to pregnancy dark spots, climate based dry skin and age concerns, this line is ready to support your journey. All of these products have a refreshing citrusy scent created my grapefruit and bergamot essential oils.
I use these products in this order Morning and Night:
- Rose hip + Green Tea Cleanser: This gel formula effectively clears away dirt in oil without drying out your skin. Plus rich botanical oils and antioxidants prevent premature aging, from wrinkles to dark spots.
- Chamomile + Tea Tree Toning Mist: Walking through this refreshing mist feels invigorating while constricting pores and balancing skin.
- Papaya + Vitamin C Serum: Some days I use this product as a spot treatment, focussing fine lines and dark spots. Other days I apply it to my whole face to give me an allover glow.
- Elderflower + Avocado Moisturizer: This creamy moisturizer immediately delivers powerful moisture. Locking in deep hydration without clogging pores.
Finally, I want to encourage your skincare routine to be the two times a day where you focus on you. It’s easier to talk about than implement, but self-care is everything that makes us into the best human/ mom/ partner/ etc. that we can be.
I like to visualize my time doing my skincare routine as a little love note to myself. Take the moment, even if it feels silly, to thank your skin for protecting you. Massage those facial muscles and remember that you are absolutely worth the time it takes to cleanse, tone, treat and moisturize. You matter.