The road from purchasing a skincare product to establishing a full routine or ritual can be challenging. Who has the time to apply several different products to maintain ever changing skin? The true is that the skin does not need a lot to be happy. Truly listening to your skin is key to finding balance and healthy radiant skin.
When good intentions are not enough, here are a few simple tricks to help you establish a skincare routine that works for your skin.
Watch this week’s breakdown of the blog post on IGTV here.
The truth is that the more convenient an activity is, the more likely we are to do it. Make that routine as convenient as possible.
- Easy Access: Make sure the products are on the counter near the sink, within reach without having to open something to get to them. This not only takes away the step of having to get them out, but also allows you to actually see them as a reminder.
- Washcloths: I always recommend using a clean warm washcloth to remove your cleanser, so have a stack ready at all times. Get a cute basket or container and be sure to purchase washcloths that have a feel/ texture that appeals to you.
- Buy products made for convenience: When I designed my skincare line, I made sure all the bottles had pump tops for easy use and that my toner had a spray to eliminate the need for cotton rounds. Purchase something you know you can use without having to take an extra step.
2. Use pre-existing routines
It’s much easier to add onto an already established routine, than to start from scratch. Use the example routine below as a starting point, and edit to fit your lifestyle.
- Morning: Wake up, shower, shampoo, cleanse your face while conditioner is in your hair, wash body, after shower use toning mist and let it dry while you brush your teeth, brush hair, apply moisturizer + sunscreen and finish with your favorite eyeliner.
- Night time: Cleanse face, use a warm wash cloth to relax facial muscles for the night, floss, spray toning mist, let dry while brushing your teeth, apply serum, let it absorb while you put your jammies on and finish by massaging your moisturizer into you skin helping to stimulate good circulation nourishing those skin cells.
Many of you might ask, “why morning and night?” Night, because your skin has been exposed to so many different environmental and touch factors throughout the day (and possibly makeup as well), relieving your pores of these outside irritants can reduce redness, breakouts and soften texture. Morning, because your skin cells turnover faster while you sleep, healing and shedding. A morning routine not only helps clear away all that dead skin that has accumulated overnight, but also prepares your skin for all it will encounter during the daytime.
3. Feel it all
Our willingness to do something depends on how much we enjoy it. Call on your senses.
- Smell: Make sure the aroma of the product appeals to you and helps to life your spirits or calm you down in the evening. My skincare line has a fresh scent of grapefruit to start your day off with uplifting feels and bergamot to ground you into your body at night.
- Touch: Use that warm water not only to wash away the cleanser and open the pores, but to relax the facial muscles. Enjoy the cool mist of the toner to cool and refresh. Use your fingers to massage the face while applying your serum or moisturizer.
- Hear: Maybe your routine includes your favorite song to start off your day or calm your busy brain at night.
4. Don’t be discouraged
Listen, life happens. Things come up, we wake up late or we fall asleep on the couch. You wouldn’t stop brushing your teeth because you missed one night, and that same thought process can be applied to your skincare routine.
The truth is, washing or moisturizing when you remember is better than not at all. Habits truly take a long while to establish, so give yourself some grace and keep at it.
We are also so results driven. The number one thing that brings results is consistency. Your skin is a reflection of this consistency and will reward it with softer, healthier and happier look/ feel. The only thing that can boost your skin beyond home care consistency is regular facial treatments. If you are interested in a facial treatment, you can book your next holistic facial here.